Are you skeptical about taking CBD gummies? Find out how long they take to work and how long they last with this complete guide. Is there actually a best time of day to take CBD gummies? Depending on what you need relief from, the best time of day to take them can vary. Learn when… CBD gummies are becoming ever more popular. If you're new and have questions about what to expect while taking them, look no further, we've got the answers.
How Long Does it Take for CBD Gummies to Work and How Long Do They Last?
Home » Blog » How Long Does it Take for CBD Gummies to Work and How Long Do They Last?
CBD has made a grand entrance onto the scene in recent years considering its many health benefits, but it’s still relatively new. With products on the market including full spectrum CBD, broad spectrum CBD, CBD isolate, CBD tincture, and most recently, CBD oil gummies, the research is continuing to grow in a positive direction. Naturally, if you’re someone that loves gummies and wants to enter the CBD space, you might have a few questions:
- How long for CBD gummies to kick in?
- When and how often should I take them?
- How long do CBD gummies last?
- Will it stay in my system for long?
- And maybe even, do CBD gummies work at all?
There are many factors to consider, and your questions may not have the perfectly straightforward answer you’d like-your body chemistry is unlike anyone else’s. But that doesn’t mean you can’t equip yourself with the proper knowledge to understand how CBD edible gummies work and what to expect.
- Gummies are a type of ingested edible that has to move through the digestive system before taking effect; this means they typically take longer to start working but longer to wear off, too.
- Several factors impact how long it takes before your CBD gummy kicks in, including body weight, metabolism, and recent meals.
- CBD doesn’t provide the same “high” feeling as THC, so it may be hard to tell precisely when it starts working. Be patient, and up your dosage as needed.
How Long Does CBD Gummies Take to Work?
CBD is a hemp plant extract associated with many benefits, such as enhanced muscle recovery, increased relaxation, improved pain management. There are many ways to use CBD products, with different absorption times for each method. No matter how you consume your CBD content, the active ingredients eventually make their way into the bloodstream-it’s only a matter of time (literally):
- Edibles – CBD oil gummies are a type of edible, just like CBD oil-infused brownies or lollipops and lozenges. There is a difference, however, in how you consume the CBD edible:
- Ingested – Chewable edibles can take longer to come into effect. They have to go all the way through the digestive system, into the liver (where the CBD concentration is somewhat reduced by the liver’s enzymes ), before finally entering the bloodstream and subsequently taking effect. This process can span 30, 60, and even 90+ minutes, depending on other factors.
- Absorbed sublingually – Lollipops, gum, and lozenges are edibles that you don’t swallow. Instead, they take a much shorter path to the bloodstream: through the mucus membranes in your mouth, specifically through the blood vessels under your tongue. This direct route typically allows the CBD product to produce results quicker.
- Tinctures – CBD oil tincture is often administered sublingually-under the tongue-as well. You can also choose to swallow it, but this roundabout route will take longer, as with edibles.
- Topical creams – This localized method of absorption is for acute aches and pains in certain body parts. The skin receptors usually have a low absorption rate, so creams can take up to an hour and a half for peak effectiveness and should be used abundantly.
- CBD vape pen or pre-rolls – Inhalation is another speedy delivery method, because the CBD concentration goes straight into the lungs, which have a direct line to the bloodstream. You may feel the effects as soon as a few minutes later.
Different CBD products, from topical CBD to CBD edibles and CBD gummies, can be used in different ways and therefore, work differently. So, how long does it take for CBD gummies to work, specifically? Generally speaking, taking your CBD gummy about one hour before you want the effects to kick in is a safe bet. However, you may notice the impact a little sooner. It typically comes down to the user.
Additionally, the exact time frame depends on a few factors (plus a couple of unknown variables):
- Empty or full stomach – Your CBD gummy has to be fully digested and absorbed before you’ll notice any benefits. If your stomach is full of non-CBD foods, the digestive system must work harder and longer before it breaks everything down. On an empty stomach, however, your CBD gummy is the only thing to dissolve.
- Metabolism – Your metabolism is a set of invaluable bodily processes, including converting food to proteins, acids, carbohydrates, and energy for your cells to function. In this case, your CBD gummy is one of the many things that your body breaks down. With a faster metabolism, you’ll more quickly absorb the CBD properties of your edible.
- Body composition – Your body is full of variable factors that can influence how you process and absorb CBD extract. This includes:
- Bodyweight and mass – Heavier people often require more CBD extract to feel the same effects. In turn, it takes longer to process this higher CBD concentration.
- Habitual medications – Certain prescription drugs can alter the speed with which your body digests substances, CBD infused gummies included.
- Digestive enzymes – Gastric enzymes are responsible for breaking down the food you ingest, which helps your body absorb the nutrients. Their speed and efficiency may be affected by certain stimuli, such as high stress.
It’s hard to give a precise answer about how long gummies take to start working with so many factors to consider. Your friend may feel the effects after only 30 minutes, while you don’t notice a thing until almost two hours later.
Over time, you’ll start to notice what your “average” looks like and how some of these variables might increase or decrease that typical absorption speed.
Important note : CBD doesn’t provide the same “high” or “stoned” feeling as THC, so it can be a little tougher to determine exactly when the effects kick in. You may be wondering, “ How many CBD gummies should I eat? ”. If you’re still not sure whether it’s working after several hours, you may want to consider upping your dosage next time around-remember to start small and build up slowly to avoid any potential side effects.
Also, should you have any concerns, it’s wise to consult your doctor prior to adding CBD into your wellness routine.
How Long Does CBD Gummies Last?
Your body is a complex, unique organism. The same factors that affect your CBD gummies’ onset will also affect the duration of experienced benefits.
Again, it’s different for everyone, but here are a few noticeable variables that may impact how long you get to enjoy your gummies:
- Body composition & exercise – CBD is a fat-soluble compound, meaning we store a portion of it in our fat cells. It takes longer for people with a higher percentage of body fat to flush their system completely. Intense, fat-burning exercise may expedite the process.
- Metabolism – Your metabolism affects both how long a CBD gummy will last and how long it takes to kick in, in a similar but somewhat inverse way:
- If your metabolism works quickly , you’ll likely feel the effects sooner, but they’ll be more short-lived. Your body will flush the CBD out of your system faster—early onset, earlier fade out.
- If you have a slower metabolism, your body needs more time to process and break down the components. The CBD might take longer to come into effect but also longer to go out of effect.
How Long Will CBD Last in My System?
Even after the effects have worn off, the CBD may still be in your system. The same is true of many substances that you ingest.
This is because of CBD’s half-life. All substances and compounds have a unique half-life, which is the time it takes for the body to eliminate half of the initial concentration. Researchers and scientists have not yet been able to nail down the exact half-life of CBD, but estimates hover around a day or more-some say 18-32 hours, others claim one or two days.
Let’s say, for argument’s sake, that CBD’s half-life is 24 hours. Here’s what would happen in your body after a single dose of 100 mg CBD product:
- Immediately upon consumption: 100 mg
- 24 hours after consumption: 50 mg
- 48 hours after consumption: 25 mg
- 72 hours after consumption: 12.5 mg
- And so on, at this same rate
There’s no definitive answer, but a lot of sources point to the same approximate conclusion: CBD likely remains in your system for about five days or more, in decreasing concentrations. Does CBD show up on a drug test?
When Should I Take My CBD Gummies?
As you can probably guess, there’s no one-time-fits-all recommendation for CBD users. Some CBD users pop in a few each morning; others take their CBD gummies a couple of hours before bedtime-this depends on how long it takes for them to kick in, how long they last, and, in part, on why you’re using CBD in the first place:
- Energy and focus – If CBD helps you feel rejuvenated and in high spirits, a gummy or two first thing in the morning will set you up for a good day. If you feel the effects start to wear off midday, you may want to split your dosage half-and-half between the morning and afternoon for a consistent, prolonged result. Taking it too late in the day may, however, result in overstimulation at bedtime.
- Restful nighttime sleep – If you become drowsy and relaxed with CBD, ingest your gummies a couple of hours before you intend to sleep. Two hours should be enough time, but if you find the effects work quickly on you, take them closer to bedtime. The CBD should be out of your system by morning, giving you a good night’s sleep without any morning-after grogginess.
- Aches and strains – As a top tier athlete who needs to soothe their aching muscles while on the go, try taking your CBD gummies spread throughout the day for more consistent relief. If you feel especially roused or restless, take them earlier rather than later.
Find Your Rhythm with Resilience CBD
Everyone’s different. On the one hand, individuality and uniqueness are wonderful; on the other, it makes it a little bit harder to decide when to take your CBD gummies.
This guide can help you make informed decisions about when to schedule your daily doses, but it’s all a matter of trial and error at the end of the day.
Luckily, Resilience CBD gummies come in an easy-to-portion 10 mg concentration that you can take with you wherever. With such convenience, you can pop one in one of our company’s gummies on your way to a stressful meeting, after some hardcore endurance training at the gym, or when you get on the train at the end of a long day.
If it works for you, then it works!
Written by: Michael Tatz | Linkedin
Michael Tatz is the Co-Founder of Resilience CBD, and a passionate leader in the health & fitness world helping others rise to and crush their wildest goals. A former Division 1 college wrestler, Army Officer, and investment manager at Goldman Sachs, he has pushed his body and mind to the limits on the mats, dressed in camo, and in the boardroom.
Today, he spends his time leading Resilience CBD to develop the absolute best recovery products for athletes everywhere. Resilience was founded after CBD personally impacted Michael’s life, and the brand was built to partner with everyday athletes in pursuit of conquering their most difficult challenges, rebounding after their toughest performances, and rising to their goals that once seemed impossible.
What Is The Best Time Of The Day To Take CBD Gummies?
Cannabidiol has become an essential part of a lot of people’s daily routines, all over the world. It has been linked to several health and wellness benefits, which drove people to direct their attention towards this all-natural ingredient of a plant that promises wonders.
The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology explains that CBD can be used as an effective therapy for various medical conditions and disorders and might be taken just like any food supplements or vitamins. With the numerous products available, an acute dose of CBD oil was linked to controlling refractory seizures, minimizing anxiety, taming down schizophrenia and other health benefits 1 .
Whether you consume CBD oil drops, swallow capsules, rub CBD topicals onto your skin or are taking CBD edibles, the right dosage and when the desired onset time of CBD effects should always be treated with special attention before starting any treatment.
People consume CBD to benefit from all the positives that can come from CBD edible gummies so let’s take a look at how these sweet chewable edibles are produced, how long does it take to kick in, when you should take them and how much CBD you should eat?
What Are CBD Gummies?
CBD gummies are similar to other CBD edibles that come in different forms and have fruity flavors. They are infused with various concentrations of hemp-derived cannabidiol. The making process of gummies is pretty much the same as any other gummy treat you ever had.
CBD oil based gummies are one of the most convenient, fun, and delicious products to have as a source to taking your daily dose of cannabidiol. CBD edibles are usually produced in exciting fun shapes and colors, mostly in the form of gummy bears, worms or fruits They are easily portable, discreet, and don’t require you to fully understand CBD dosing, which makes gummies a suitable option for individuals looking to try CBD oils for the first time 2 and taking the desired doses.
How Do CBD Gummies Work?
After eating a CBD gummy your digestive system goes to work, which could take anywhere between 1 to 6 hours to accomplish peak CBD levels in the bloodstream.
CBD edibles contain pre-calculated concentration of CBD oils which they supply into the body after intake. CBD begins to interfere with the Endocannabinoid System (ECS) responsible for basic functions such as mood, sleep and appetite. The benefits of a CBD gummy and positive feeling it has on the Endocannabinoid System make CBD a great option to have at your disposal when it comes to managing many physical and mental disorders.
The Food and Drug Administration have yet to regulate the industry so you need to do your due diligence when it comes to finding a reputable CBD brand.
Why Should You Choose CBD Gummies?
The choice of a CBD based product depends on your preferences, current health condition and CBD potency. CBD edibles offer one of the easiest way to consume CBD without the need to smoke CBD, vape CBD or use a dropper.
For some people consuming CBD might seem like a chore or make you remember back to the days when you were forced to drink cough syrup as a child because of its very apparent earthy not quite appealing taste.
CBD gummies taste much better than CBD on its own and provide the same benefits of CBD that are in capsules or oil drops. To experience similar benefits of CBD in other forms, however, all you need to do is chew a piece of sweet (or savory) gummies once or twice throughout the day.
When To Consume?
Since consuming CBD edibles is a slower-acting method of delivering CBD benefits, such products can be used as a long-term supplement rather than a need a quick fix moment. To experience a quicker supply of desired CBD you should turn to smoking or vaping CBD.
Deciding on the best time of day to take CBD gummies should be determined by two factors: what fits your lifestyle and when you prefer to have mealtime.
CBD may require consistent and regular intake to improve one’s health and help him or her cope with various ailments 3 . Since everyone’s body reacts differently to different levels of CBD we recommend the trial and error method when it comes to what works best for you.
It’s best to start with a low dose and slowly add a small dose until you find the right dose that works for your desired outcome. Also, because added inactive and active ingredients are different in all CBD edibles, you may find that taking a serving of CBD edibles is best earlier in the day opposed to later.
It is essential to note CBD School doesn’t recommend taking CBD on an empty stomach and that taking CBD gummies simultaneously with food can increase its bioavailability and CBD absorption.
Time Of CBD Intake
Many users may not experience the first beneficial effects right after intake. Each body needs a different time to get all beneficial effects from CBD. Also, bodyweight, metabolism, the severity of the disorder, and CBD concentration may influence the period of first improvement appearance.
Furthermore, in some cases, CBD may cause an energy boost for some and a calming effect for others. It’s important to observe all changes and pay attention to how CBD affects your body when you are taking CBD .
If you feel energized after consumption, consider eating CBD gummies with breakfast or at lunchtime to be more active during the day and avoid restless sleep at night . On the contrary, if CBD makes you feel relaxed, try to consume it with an evening meal or before going to bed. Everyone’s digestive system works a bit different.
Don’t be afraid to change the time, dosage or way of taking gummies based on how CBD makes you feel. Also, consult a healthcare specialist that is familiar with cannabis products to get advice on beneficial and safe treatment.
Enjoying your read? Sign up to be a part of the CBD School community, and we’ll send you a free eBook called The Beginner’s Guide to CBD. It will get you caught up in all things CBD. Additionally, you’ll get updates on the best CBD products and discounts in the industry.
Beginner’s Guide to CBD Gummies
If you have been thinking about trying CBD gummies, but don’t know where to start, then our beginners guide to CBD gummies is here to answer all your questions!
Koi CBD Gummies | Anytime Balance
- CBD gummies 101
- Getting started with CBD gummies
- How to take CBD gummies
- Choosing a high-quality CBD gummy
CBD Gummies 101
As CBD products expand around the world, it makes sense that someone would take the obvious step to create CBD gummies. CBD gummies are sweet, chewy edibles infused with CBD that are designed to be chewed and swallowed. So what is CBD? Cannabidiol (CBD) is a cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant. CBD interacts with an internal system known as the endocannabinoid system (ES). It’s the ES that is responsible for maintaining internal harmony and balance in our bodies. The ES consists of receptors and cannabinoids such as CBD bind with these receptors creating a chemical reaction.
Getting Started with CBD Gummies
Understanding what to expect
Remember, CBD gummies contain either trace or small levels of THC, so you’re not going to get high. Most people report an increased feeling of happiness and relaxation. Don’t expect to find yourself bombed out and lying on the couch. You can get the most out of CBD gummies by using them daily. When you take CBD regularly, it builds up over time to keep your endocannabinoid system in top condition.
Start slowly with CBD gummies
When you use gummies for the first time, follow the instructions recommended on the packaging. Everyone is different, and everyone will react differently the first time they try CBD gummies. If you feel like the effects weren’t strong enough, then try increasing the dosage slowly. If they were too strong, then decrease the dosage.
Choosing the size and potency to suit you
The great thing about CBD gummies is it’s easy to eat one or two or to cut a gummy in half if one gummy is too much. Everyone is different, and everybody reacts differently to CBD.
Finding a high-quality CBD gummy
When you’re choosing a CBD gummy, ensure that the company displays all its laboratory results. At Koi CBD, we believe in the quality of our CBD products and aren’t afraid to let everyone have access to the lab results that back this up.
Full-spectrum vs broad-spectrum gummies
As you look into gummies, you’ll find that there are two types: full-spectrum and broad-spectrum. Full-spectrum CBD gummies contain all the beneficial cannabinoids, terpenes, and other nutritious compounds native to hemp for a stronger entourage effect. A broad-spectrum CBD product also offers all the entourage benefits of all terpenes and cannabinoids, except for detectable amounts of THC. This could be the best option if you have concerns about using CBD and drug testing. Some gummies on the market have CBD isolate, which means they contain only the CBD compound itself and none of the other beneficial compounds and terpenes in hemp.
Always speak with your doctor
While CBD offers a slew of wellness benefits, the FDA has not approved CBD for medical purposes. Always speak with your doctor or health care professional before ceasing any medications or starting new ones. CBD has shown to have very few side effects, but if you’re considering switching from a pharmaceutical medication to CBD gummies, then it’s always a good idea to speak with your doctor first.
How to Take CBD Gummies
A common question those new to CBD gummies have is– How many CBD gummies should I take? You may want to take one or more CBD gummies per day, depending on the potency of the gummy and your goal with CBD. That said, there’s no universal serving for everyone. Keep in mind that you can take more than one gummy at a time to increase your CBD milligram serving. You can also cut CBD gummies in half for a smaller serving of CBD. So how do you take a CBD gummy? Simply pop a single gummy in your mouth, chew and swallow. Most people prefer to take their gummies in the morning as part of their daily wellness regimen. You may find that an afternoon serving works better. CBD gummies are also an enjoyable way to promote balance in the evenings before bed. While CBD itself doesn’t have sedative effects, it can promote better sleep by keeping your body in homeostasis.
CBD Gummies FAQ
Do CBD gummies work the first time? You will start to experience the benefits of CBD after taking CBD gummies for the first time. Once absorbed, CBD interacts with your body’s endocannabinoid system to promote better balance. For best results, take CBD gummies daily to keep your endocannabinoid system running optimally. Over time, you may notice the benefits of a well-nourished endocannabinoid system, including sleeping better at night and feeling better during the day. How long do CBD gummies take to start working? As an edible product, the effects of CBD gummies can take up to 60 minutes. After chewing and swallowing a CBD gummy, the CBD and other active compounds are eventually absorbed and delivered to your body through digestion. This process can take roughly 30 to 60 minutes. How do I choose a CBD gummy? When deciding on a CBD gummy to try, choose one made by a trusted and respected manufacturer. Look to see whether the company makes available third-party lab results to ensure the gummy is safe and high-quality. How do I take CBD gummies? CBD gummies are taken in the same way food is. Chew and swallow a gummy at least once per day. You can use multiple CBD gummies per day depending on your needs and preferences. You may also want to take one in the morning and one in the evening to help keep regular levels of CBD in your body.
Koi CBD Gummies
If you’re looking for the most enjoyable way to get a serving of CBD each day, you’ll want to consider CBD gummies. Koi CBD offers both full-spectrum and broad-spectrum CBD gummies. If you’re interested in full-spectrum, take a look at our Koi Complete Full Spectrum CBD Gummies, available in three delicious all-natural flavors. Each gummy contains 25 mg CBD and 5 mg delta-9 THC. If broad-spectrum is more of your thing, our Anytime Balance CBD Gummies have 20 mg of Koi PRIZM™ Broad Spectrum CBD per serving and no detectable THC. Our Nighttime CBD Gummies blend 20 mg of our broad-spectrum CBD with 5 mg of Melatonin per serving to help you ease into your evening. All of our gummies are laboratory-tested to ensure that you’re getting high-quality, premium CBD gummies. Unlike many gummies on the market, Koi gummies are mixed and rolled three times with CBD. If you have any other questions about CBD gummies, please don’t hesitate to speak with our friendly, professional team. They’re always happy to help with any questions you may have!